Friday, August 22, 2014

Eastern Wood Peewee

Soggy Northern Cardinal, one of a family of seven that are hanging around

Another lifer for me, right in the same tree as the Least Flycatcher. Same branch in fact. Definitely a different bird though.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing actually. Had just seen a series of really good photos of one on another birding blog, and there it was. I came down to check with computer and field guide and realized that I had indeed heard the call before, just thought it was a Goldfinch.


I waited though, to see if I could pick out the call after hearing it on the computer. Sure enough this morning, while Liz and I were having breakfast, the call came from out in the mulberry trees...pee-oo-wee, loud and clear.


I know many of these first timers for me are common enough birds that a serious birder would have checked off decades ago, but for all I love birds, my life has been about other things. 
Ruby-throated hummingbird

And without the wonderful bird window I wouldn't be able to see all these cool tree-top dwellers without spooking them.


Downy Woodpecker

Three cheers for the bird window!

No comments: